Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Hypoechoic septated breast cyst

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Hypoechoic septated breast cyst

My mother has been diagnosed with a Hypoechoic Septated cyst in her breast. She is going in for surgery in a week and they won't tell her anything until her consultation and the not knowing is really worring our whole family. Could this be breast cancer.
Dear Chocolate Icecream, Information from evaluations such as physical examination, mammograms, and ultrasounds can be more or less suspicious for a lump being cancerous, but cannot answer the question for sure.  If an area is suspicious taking a sample of the tissue (biopsy) to look at the sample under the microscope may be needed to be sure.  A septated cyst means that there are divisions within the cyst, this is more suspicious than a simple cyst.  Her doctor would be better able to put the findings into context for you, as they have access to the complete information.  

I truly wish someone here could help you but unfortunately when it comes to breast problems you have to wait and wait and wait.
There are test, then biopsies, possibly surgery and even then you want know final patholy reports for at least 6/7 days. If you read other post you will see the waiting is the hardest. I wish I had answers for you. Maybe someone here can help answer some of your questions but only a true doctor can get you the answers you are looking for.
Glad to see your post.  I know that your surgery is in a couple of weeks.  I have been posting at breastcancer.org and many of the women you have met post there also and they start out with questions on test and questions all the way through to moving beyond on their discussion boards. The women are wonderful.  You might want to sign up - they have helped me with some of the things I am experiencing post treatment. These women have been through so much and are open and willing to share.  Lots of info on surgery and reconstruction. Keep us posted.

I am not totally sure about the type cyst.  I think it means that there is a division(divider) in the cyst and also that it probably has material floating inside it-Could be some blood or dead breast cells.  IF that is the case then it is more what they call a complicated cyst and it does have to be checked out.  Hard to be patient when you are scared/upset

Blessings to you both!!
Thank you so much I'll go there. This is so hard.