Breast Cancer Expert Forum
I found a lump in my breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I found a lump in my breast

I'm 14 years old and two days ago I found a hard round lump on my right breast.  It's very painful and if something touches it, it hurts for a long time.  It did come right before my period and im on it now, but what could this be?  I'm only 14 could something like this happen to someone this young? Help!
Dear uscgrl2036:  Breast cancer is extremely unlikely in a 14 year old woman.  Breast pain and lumpiness, particularly prior to one’s menstrual cycle is quite common.  If this lump is still there after your period, you should show this to your mother.  There are many possible explanations for lumps and if it persists may warrant further evaluation.
It is always very important to talk to your doctor about any concerns that you have about your breasts or your body. Having said that, it is normal to have breast tenderness at 14, because the breasts are still developing. I remember that my breasts did not reach their full size untill I was in college. It is also normal to have tenderness before your period. As I said, you should talk to your doctor about any concerns that you have. You may also be able to talk to a school nurse if you have one.