Breast Cancer Expert Forum
IBC and IDC

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

IBC and IDC

I had lumpectomy (2 actually) for IDC now I'm exhibiting most all signs of Inflammatory Breast Cancer.  Anyone ever hear of such a thing??
Dear CathieK, Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC) is a rare type of breast cancer accounts for only 1 to 4 percent of all breast cancers.  It is called inflammatory because the symptoms are usually a redness and warmth in the skin of the breast, often without a distinct lump. In the classic definition of inflammatory breast cancer, cancer cells are seen in the lymph channels under the skin.  The pathological examination of the tissue under the microscope, disease in the lymph channels would confirm the diagnosis of inflammatory breast cancer vs. strictly intraductal carcinoma (IDC).  

The usual symptoms of redness and warmth to skin could also be signs of other problems such as infection.  Be sure your surgeon is aware of these “signs” so they can evaluate them with you in context of your situation.