Breast Cancer Community
IBC

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

IBC

I have a red area on the top inner portion of my right breast.  It is not swollen and it is not warm to touch.  It has been there for several weeks. I had a diagnostic mammogram a few days ago and I am waiting on the results.  I have researched IBC on the internet and I am terrified.  Would the next step be straight to a breast specialist for a biopsy?  I have tried over the counter hydrocortisone cream and it isn't helping.  I also feel tingling in both of my breasts at times.  I am not pregnant and I just finished my cycle.  I cant think about anything else.  Thanks in advance.
I doubt that you can hurry them up any unless you just keep calling your Dr. for the referral and then let the Specialist's office know that you are very anxious and will take any appnt. any time in case they have a cancellation. Waiting is the absolute worst and none of us do it very well I'm afraid.  Regards ..
It certainly doesn't sound like the symptoms of IBC to me. I would suggest that you first get the results of your Mammogram before jumping to any conclusions and then follow whatever is recommended by the Radiologist and your prescribing Physician. If I were you I would stop all the research which can only serve to confuse. I was wondering too if this spot has been present for several weeks without change why you haven't seen your Dr. about it weeks ago and perhaps even consulted a Dermatologist. Self treatment without Medical advice rarely helps any situation. I doubt the tingling you feel in your breasts has anything to do with this ?? rash like area. I say CALM DOWN, wait for your Mammo results and discuss it with your Dr.before trying anything else.   Regards .....
Thank you for your response.  You are absolutely right, I should have gone to the doctor as soon as I noticed the redness.  I guess I didn't think much of it until I decided to research it online.  I guess that is why they say so many women are not even aware of IBC.  I figured if it was dermatological the hydrocortisone would have helped.  Anyway, I will definitely try to calm down.  I just pray that whatever it is I haven't let it go on too long.  Thanks again for your time.
It would take a punch biopsy of the skin to diagnose IBC but being present for so long with no change I doubt that this is your problem. If it were I would think that by now the breast would be enlarged to a great degree and the area would have most likely spread and feel VERY HOT. Keep looking though until you have a definite answer and solution, OK ??  Kindest regards ....
My dr called back and said that the mammogram came back fine.  She is sending me to a breast specialist for the redness.  I think I probably need meds or something to calm me down.  This has completely consumed me! I can't see anything else that this could be and it should have cleared up by now.  Do you happen to know if the breast specialist will automatically do a biopsy or is there more waiting??? Thanks
I wanted to ask you another question.  I'm sorry to be a bother.  I am noticing the redness has spread.  I am waiting on my dr to give me the information for the specialist she is referring me to.  Is there anyway to get them to speed things along?  I am so scared that this is IBC and it will be too late.  I am also feeling a tingling in both breasts now.  Thanks in advance for your response.
I keep trying to get someone to move my appointment up but they are not really much help.  I am so terrified.  I feel like every day that passes is just more time that I will have lost.  Part of the rash seems to be fading but some of the redness is still there.  Do you have any idea of what could hang around this long other than IBC?  I know that you are not a physician, but I think that this waiting is literally going to drive me insane.  I have no idea what to do next.  I keep reading all of these stories about how women were diagnosed too late.  I have two kids that need me!  Thanks for listening.
I tend to agree with japdip that your symptoms are not indicative of IBC.
The typical signs of IBC  would be these:

1)Increase in breast size over a relatively short period of time (sometimes a cup size in a few days)

2) Itching that is unrelenting and unrelieved by oral drugs or topical agents

3)Redness or dark colored area sometimes with peau d'orange (texture similar to the skin of an orange)

4) Ridges and thickened areas of the skin

5) What appears to be a bruise that does not go away.

6) Nipple flattening or retraction.

7) Nipple discharge.

8) Breast is excessively warm to the touch.

9) Breast is harder or firmer than usual

10) Breast pain which is not cyclic in nature (may be constant or stabbing)

11) Change in color and/or texture of the areola.

12) Swollen lymph nodes in the axillary area (underarm) or the supraclavicular area (above the collarbone)

13) A lump that could be present in the breast,but not always.

As Japdip said,since you have this redness for the past several weeks,I also really doubt that you have this disease,considering that your only symptom is this redness that sounds more like a skin problem or an allergy or some sort,or even a breast infection.
In the meantime,please try to consult a Dermatologist ( who could also perform a punch biopsy) until you can see the Breast Specialist.
I hope that soon you'll find an answer to this problem.
Wishing you all the best and good luck!
Thank you for your response.  I wil see the breast specialist on Thursday as they were able to move the appt. up for me.  I initially thought about a skin infection as well but its been about 6 weeks now and it still hasn't cleared.  I am hoping and praying for the best outcome, but I can't stop thinking about the worst and if I caught it in time.