IMPORTANCE OF NIPPLES
WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF EXAMINING A NIPPLE IN A BREAST EXAM?
Nipple examination during breast examination do provide a guide to conditions.
Nipple is usually looked for any  change in size and position. The nipple on the slightly upper size may signify a tumour of breast infiltrating the nipple region.
Nipple is looked for any retraction which is of recent onset. Look for any discharge from the nipple and examine its characteristics.
my nipple itches, and if I squeeze it, clear liquid comes out. I squeezed my right nipple because I felt a little dampness when I was scratching the itchy nipple. WHat is this??? I am 41, and NOT pregnant. took a preg test (I am on my period NOW - last day or so). HELP!
Nipple examination is very important during a breast self examination. A nipple discharge is significant and needs to be reported to your physician and needs further investigation if is is persistent, bloody, comes on its own, without squeezing, is foul smelling or of altered colour.
Any change in the skin of the nipple or surrounding area, also needs to be examined clinically.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
A nipple discharge is common on squeezing the nipples in most women. It is not significant if it is clear and comes only on squeezing.
Do read the above post also.
Good luck.