Breast Cancer Community
INVASIVE LOBULAR BREAST CANCER STAGE 3A

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

INVASIVE LOBULAR BREAST CANCER STAGE 3A

A family friend has stage 3A  INVASIVE LOBULAR BREAST CANCER.

She said the survival rate is two years. She has had the cancer for one year already.
She is 40 years old and has three young children and has asked friends to research the internet for any possible helpful information or "tips" that might bne of help for her.

Are there any cuitting edge treatments, therphy or diets for woman with stage 3A InvasiveLobular Breast Cancer?
Please consult a surgical oncologist,Invasive Lobular Cancer as such as poor outcome.Alternative methods of treatment are most often unhelpful.Personal assessment is neccessary to evaluate if modern advances in medication etc can be of any help ,if atall.
Goodluck
I don't much at all about lobular breast cancer, as I have invasive ductal cancer, with lymph node spread. A 2 yr survival prognosis seems unduly pessimistic to me. There is a lot of information you haven't given, which would help us to respond e.g. how large is the tumour? is it hormone receptive? (ER, PR and Her2), is there any lymph node involvement? are there any metastases to other organs like the lungs, bones, liver, brain?  What treatment has she already had? surgeries, chemo, rads?
In my view alternative treatments may help one cope with bc, but they don't cure it nor keep it in remission, despite all the quackery claims out there.  Complementary treatments (massage, acupuncture, aromatherapy etc.) also help one to cope with such a devastating disease.

There are many new chemotherapy and hormonal therapies now that keep the disease in remission for many years so tell your friend not to give up hope, but to get the best medical attention she can, preferably at a large breast care centre. If you are in the US, the Komen Foundation and the National Cancer Institute can advise.  You may also wish to look a the US breast cancer site, which is very active, the website is breastcancer.org and I am sure many ladies there who have lobular bc will help.

As for diet, she should really do what we all should - eat a low fat, high fibre diet, with little or no red meat and plenty of fresh fruit,vegetables and protein.

Liz.
There are some paradoxes involved with lobular breast cancer. There is an observation that they generally respond less with  chemotherapy, present with more advanced stage at the time symptoms become evident, and have a tendency to  involve both breasts           . This is why there is a perceived poorer outcome compared to those with the more common Ductal variety. However, actual cohorts on survival  do not support this conclusion, there is even        evidence to suggest that patients with Lobular Cancer outlive their  Ductal counterparts. The 5 year  survival for stage 3A is 67% for Breast Cancers in general , and there seems to be no reason to think that it is different for the Lobular kind. I agree with lizziecee, that 2   years sounds unduly pessimistic.
I have lobular stage 2 and the receptionist at the oncologist office was stage 3 five years ago and no recurrence, that 2 years doesn't sound right to me at all and I have been researching this diligently!
2 years survival??? Its ridiculus... With chemoteraphy and radiotherapy 5 year survey is %55 and 10 year survey is %40... c-erbB2, estrogen and progesteron status, lenf node involvment and tm size r the prognostic factors. First find a medical oncolog...

My e-mail: ***@****
I have invasive lobular cancer and they told me it is not that bad.  Now I'm wondering how bad off I really am.  Right now I'm finishing up my test to determine where the cancer is, but my doctors said it is very treatable.
I had stage 3 invasive lobular carcinoma, 10 cm mass, 2 nodes involved. My cancer responded wonderfully to agressive chemo and radiation. After treatment and a bilateral mastectomy, I have a 30% chance for recurrence.