Breast Cancer Community
If not a lump then what?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

If not a lump then what?

What does it mean when the doc says the abnormalties in my breast are not lumps?  I go for biopsie on November 26, 2012 where they intend to take sample from 3 different hard areas.  They say they are small but  my doc says they are not considered lumps.  They will put 2 titanium clips in as two of the things are kinda piggy backed and can be tagged with one clip. I am so confused and have only heard of references to lumps.  When it is not considered a lump what is it called?  I would like to be able to look up something specific to learn more about what is happening to me.  
From your description these may be areas of calcifications that need to be biopsied to determine if they are harmless or may be an indication of something that needs either removal OR some form of treatment. These appear on film as tiny white dots and when they are clustered or seen in groups they may indicate something serious. You should keep in mind that a great number of biopsies of calcifications return a benign result. You mention wanting terms to research but I would advise you to ask your Dr. for a complete explanation of any concerns you have about what is going on .... there is so much information available and it is so general that it rarely applies to your specific situation. Your own Dr. is always your best source of information... Regards ....
Thank you so much for responding to me.  I am just so confused and nervous right now considering mom, aunts, and sister all had breast cancer but they were considered lumps in all their cases.  You are right though, I was not prepared when I visited the Doc yesterday and did not know what to ask.  I will be more prepared when I return for biopsy or better yet call him before. Also, yes I saw the tiny white dots on the mamogram (mammogram) but I also saw 3 black images on the ultrasound. They were clear. I am assuming it is all the same images. If I am wrong let me know. Thank you again.
You are probably correct about the images being the same on the two films. With your family history it is VERY important to have these and any others that may appear in the future biopsied. Not to cause even more concern I would like to say that if (and this is a BIG IF) these calcifications were to indicate cancer this would be the very earliest stage of the process ... before there could be growth that might eventually form a lump. You are evidently receiving excellent medical care and since you have 2 weeks to wait for the biopsy I would see about getting more information from your Dr.if possible. Take care ....  
First let me tell how much your attention to my inquiries mean.  Although I do have a strong family history of breast cancer I still feel alone.  It seems that my relatives either do not want to revisit their personal experiences or they minimize my experience as they feel is they went through it so can I.  Of course I was there for each and every one of them so perhaps they think I already know the answers to my questions.  I want to thank you so much for being there for me and this forum is wonderful with no intimdation. Thank you again.  I do have another question, my BI-Rad is described on the report I received yesterday as Category 4 suspicious for malignancy. Biopsy recommended.  The report refers to the areas of concern as lesions.  I wan wondering why they have to biopsyand do the titanium clips before taking action, why can't they just remove this stuff and then biopsy them?
First let me say that you are more than welcome to whatever we can do here to help with your questions and concerns. We have all been there and probably with different experiences and we like to be able to "give back" in any what that we can by sharing. There are several reasons to biopsy ... one is certainly that even though an area is suspicious it doesn't mean that it is cancer. To remove something unnecessarily would not be good medical practice as there is always some measure of risk with any type of surgery. Even if the area were diagnosed as malignant after biopsy often some type of treatment might be done even before surgery to remove the lesion. Remember that many biopsies done return a result that is negative for cancer. The clips are placed to identify the correct area to be sampled and are usually left in place so that the area will be identified later as an area that has been biopsied and isn't a new finding. I truly believe that it would be rather unusual to have 3 different areas reveal a malignancy in one breast. It's just a wait now and that's often the hardest part of all this ... Please come back as soon as you have received the Path. report from the biopsies and give us an update. You are welcome to communicate with me by Private Message at anytime if you wish.   Take care ....