Breast Cancer Expert Forum
I'm too young for this!!!

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I'm too young for this!!!

I am only 28 y o. My family has a vast history with all types of cancer but mostly breast and lung.(on both sides, mom and dads family) For about the last 4 months I have had a discharge from my left breast. My youngest child is 6 years old and I didn't breast feed her. It can't be expressed and it is causeing my nipple to crack and bleed around the base of it. I went to the doctor yesterday and now I have a lump on the right breast and none on the left.( there never was one on the left) I am going crazy, I have a mamogram (mammogram) schedualed for the 25th. Any words of advice would be great. Thank you!
Dear tmarie2017:  Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple.  The discharge can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white.  Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers.  These medications increase prolactin levels in the body.   There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between. The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it’s spontaneous (comes out by itself without squeezing), keeps on happening, and is only on one side.  If it is clear and sticky, like an egg white, or bloody.  

There are also many types of lumps that can occur in the breast (a lot of them are benign).  A mammogram (and possibly and ultrasound) may help to clarify the nature of the lump on the right and will also address whether there is anything of concern on the left.  Once these results are in, you and your doctor can discuss next steps, if necessary.