Breast Cancer Expert Forum
In people terms

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

In people terms

I recvd. my rad.report on my mammograms, what does it mean?
IMPRESSION:1. Decreased prominence of architectural distortion within the deep left breast likely represents postsurgical change.
2. No significant change in microcalcifications within the left breast. Assuming no clinically worrisome findings, recommend screening mammogram in 12 months. Category 2 mammogram.
Can you explain what this means. I know it's good news. But I would like to know what the good news is.
Dear inhome, 1) is describing an area that has decreased (when compared to an earlier mammogram?) and are attributing the distortion to a postsurgical change.  2)Based on what they see in the mammograms, microcalcifications (small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue.  There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause) seen remain unchanged.  Category 2 likely refers to a category of the BIRAD's rating system that attempts to standardize the interpretation of mammograms.  A category 2 means that this is a benign finding, and routine screening is recommended as follow up.  Because they do not have the benefit of physical examination, the statement "assuming no clinical worrisome findings" is added.  If for example there was an abnormality found on physical examination (i.e. a lump) there might be recommendation for closer follow-up.
architectural distortion is a vague way of saying there's something present which does not look the way normal breast tissue does: it's not specific at all. You didn't say so, but I assume you had had a mammogram which showed such distortion, and had that area operated on. Now they are saying the area looks less distorted than it did before, which they assume is due to having had some of the area removed (if you didn't have surgery, then the fact that the area is less noticeable means whatever it is, it's highly unlikely to be cancer, since cancer doesn't go away on its own.) It also refers to areas of calcium deposits. Calcium deposits are very common in the breast, and are most often due to things which aren't harmful. Cancer can be a cause. So when they are seen, depending on the nature of the calcifications, they may simply be observed for change, as opposed to biopsy. When they are seen to remain stable, that indicates they are not due to cancer, because when they are, they increase in number with time. (Increasing in number doesn't automatically mean they are due to cancer: but it usually means it's best to find out for sure.)
Surgeon, I should have givin you more info. I had 2 biopsies in the last year, they did dx me with ADH, so the distortion would likely be the biopsies. (I had a core and wire surgical). Thanks for the "people terms" It makes a little more sense to me now.