Breast Cancer Community
Incision from lumpectomy opened after 2 wks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

It appears from the many posts on this forum regarding incisions opening after lumpectomies that it must be pretty common.  I had a lumpectomy on March 12.  Two weeks later, it opened overnight.  In the morn it was oozing & bleeding.  I returned to the surgeon, who said it was infected.  I was given antibiotics.  My oncologist looked at it a week later and said it was no longer infected, but to return to the surgeon if it looked like it wasn't healing.  Part of the incision is slowly healing, but a new section opened and is bleeding slightly.  I keep it covered with gauze to keep it clean.  How long shoud I give this to heal?  
I had an infection post surgery and it took four weeks to heal completely.

My wound was deep and had to be packed.  Wounds heal from the bottom up.

Healing seemed to be very slow but then it just went.

Actually it was a bit longer.  My incision burst on the 24th December (following surgery on the 19th Dec) and it was fully healed by the 5th Feb.

I hope yours is OK and that everything goes well for you.
Just be patient.  Time frames are different for everyone.  If you have any concerns make sure you get them checked out.

J
Thanks.  I didn't expect this to happen at all with the healing of the incision.  My surgeon did not seem concerned.  He surely sees it all the time.  It's good to be reassured.  I am so glad to have this site with all who care so much about one another.   So it's been about a month or so since the wound opened.  That part seems to be healing.  There is another section that after all this time, that decided to open the other day.  It's small and bleeding just a little.  I'll give it some more time.  Thank you again and I hope everything is ok with you now.
I didn't either.  Personally I didn't expect to get an infection and definitely didn't anticipate needing district nursing input.
Perhaps I took recovery for granted as I healed really well, and quickly, after having a duct out during a previous operation.

It is good if a surgeon doesn't seem concerned -I think.
Bleeding is a good sign as it denotes healthy tissue.  Too much bleeding is not though.

I've really benefited from this site and the support, advice and information too.  It's been invaluable.

I expect that section too will heal.  I think it's normal for us to become anxious, etc during our recoveries.  This is all new to us and we're learning about ourselves and our bodies during this process.

I had stitches poke through my skin too.  Just when I thought I'd healed I found this thing on my breast.  I was scared it had become infected again but it was only a mushy little stitch which I pulled out myself.  (The stitch was redundant anyhow as the surgical registrar had cut it to insert a drain for the infection).

You're welcome.  
I'm fine.  I've just finished radiation treatment and are getting over residual fatigue.

Just be vigilant about your breast (without making it worse) and discuss any concerns you have with your doctor.

J