Increased activity in bone scan
I was diagnosed with stage 1 , estrogen positive, node negative  invasive cancer in 2005 aged 39. I have two lumpectomy op's, elected for chemo and radiation. I am taking tamoxifen. Owing to hip pain I was referred for bone scan which showed no problem with hip but showed increased activity in 6 rib posterior. I have now had an xray and am waiting to see the Oncolgist for results but this will be after Christmas.
I have not had an injury to this area to the best of my knowledge. I did have rib pain in April and had a chest xray at that time which was all clear. The pain has since gone away.
What does "increased activity" really mean ??
Many Thanks
Cherylmax
The increased activity in the rib on bone scan could be due to - a healing rib fracture, a degenerative change or rarely a metastatic bone lesion.
In your case, the pain you noticed in April could have been associated with a rib fracture secondary to trauma, that you do not remember or recall.
Relax and do not worry. Discuss the report with your oncologist and see if he thinks it is required to rule out a metastatic lesion or not.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.