Breast Cancer Community
Increased activity in bone scan

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Increased activity in bone scan

I was diagnosed with stage 1 , estrogen positive, node negative  invasive cancer in 2005 aged 39. I have two lumpectomy op's, elected for chemo and radiation. I am taking tamoxifen. Owing to hip pain I was referred for bone scan which showed no problem with hip but showed increased activity in 6 rib posterior. I have now had an xray and am waiting to see the Oncolgist for results but this will be after Christmas.
I have not had an injury to this area to the best of my knowledge. I did have rib pain in April and had a chest xray at that time which was all clear. The pain has since gone away.
What does "increased activity" really mean ??
Many Thanks
Cherylmax
Hi.
Do you have previous bone scans?  That can be compared to your recent bone scan and see if there are changes.
"Increased activity" means that the tracer concentrated or localized to the area of your 6th posterior rib.  The sensitivity of bone scan in detecting occult bone lesions is about 72-84%.  However, bone scans are not specific and need to be confirmed by plain radiography (x-ray).  If there is indeed a suspicious lesion on your x-ray, further treatment is warranted.  It would be best to wait for the result of your x-ray.
Good luck.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I don't have any other bone scans but did have a chest xray of these ribs in April this year which was clear.

Many Thanks

Cheryl