Breast Cancer Community
Increased enhancement on IV contrast breast MRI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

What does "increased background enhancement" on a breast MRI mean?  I have been concerned about inflammatory breast cancer for over 7 weeks now- that is when I first noticed symptoms, and they have worsened or new ones have developed- nothing has gone away- blotchy reddish-purple "rash" with countless, tiny, hair thin red blood vessels throughout and my blue veins are very prominent and even "stick out" at times, peau d'orange diffuse throughout, with certain patches more prominent, diffuse, small "dimpling and ridges" on the skin almost like what you would refer to someone's complexion with severe acne scars as "ruddy" or "skin crud" looking-  they are itchy, there's significant breast size enlargement (I'd guess about a cup size), warmth, left nipple has developed a "slit" and appears to be sinking in from the center of it, and I have palpable lymph nodes in the supraclavical area- a cluster of small, pea-sized shaped ones that are hard, and other larger ones that feel a bit "softer."  U/S and Mammo were normal back on June 11th, with noted "heterogenously dense breasts", and a 5x4x3 benign anechoic cyst in the left breast at the 2 o'clock position.  There were also lymph nodes that showed in the auxilary area on both breasts, with the right node being almost double the size of the left one that also showed on the mammo.  I am 32 y/o. A full blood work up has been done- including hormones and a sed rate test- all normal.  I just got the results of the MRI today- and had the nurse read the entire report to me over the phone- and the most prominent terminology kept mentioning diffuse enhancement throughout- but that "skin thickening was not particularly noticeable."  Does that mean that skin thickening was there, but it just wasn't very prominent or was difficult to detect?  The report mentioned that possibly mastitis or inflammatory breast cancer could cause these findings, yet my dr. has ordered no follow up for anything, and her nurse actually told me (before I had her read the full report) that the MRI was flat out normal.  I have no children, am not pregnant, and all of these tests have been at MY insistance as no one can give me an explanation as all I keep hearing- even before they exam me or my breasts- is that I am too young for cancer, IBC doesn't present this way, and there's no way it could be in both breasts (all sx started in left breast, then within a few weeks, the right developed sx's too), yet I have undeniable symptoms and am not getting better.  I do not know what to do- there has been no coordinated care with any of this- I keep getting bounced around from dr to dr, so each one of them sees me for the first time and hasn't seen the progression of these sx's over the past 7 weeks.  I feel as tho I need to demand a biopsy, but how do I, as just a patient with no referral or even any drs concerned about me, get one??  Am I just crazy?  What else could explain my sx's?  I even had a dr tell me that all of these things were simple "aging."  I'm an educated woman and I just can't sit here with all these breast symptoms and take a "we don't know" explanation for this, and no one doing anything to follow up to find out what it is.  I am very suspicious of this being IBC.  Would the MRI show as enhancement if there was a possibility of IBC?  The report found it in both breasts, with the right being more significant. I know that my age, the bilateral involvement, and simply just IBC itself all make this oh-so-rare, but I am the one with the sx's and experiencing this and I need answers.  Please, any factual, good info you can provide me with other possible explanations or courses of action are so appreciated.  I am a "fact" and knowledge type person, but I also simply "feel" that there is something very wrong.
Thank you in advance for any info.
Some of the symptoms you describe don't "go" with IBC. I would suggest that you make an appointment with a Breast Specialist or Breast Surgeon and perhaps a skin biopsy might be in order at this point.   Good Luck
Thank you very kindly for your response and suggestions.  I will certainly look into it.
A related discussion, what does severe background enhancement mean was started.