Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Indication of metastasis
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Indication of metastasis

After the treatment is over (chemo, mastectomy, radiation) should I go through any additional tests to rule out secondary cancer elsewhere in the body? For example, would total bone scan be informative? Please advice.
Related Discussions
  • bone scan (5 replies):
    My wife had a lumpectomy for invasive ductal carcinoma a...[more]
  • bone scan (2 replies):
    My mom has stage3 breast cancer. They did a lumpectomy ...[more]
  • Bone scan necessary? (6 replies):
    I am a 20 year breast cancer survivor. I haven't had a ...[more]
  • bone scan (1 replies):
    How frequent bone scan should be performed after breast ...[more]
  • bone scan (5 replies):
    I am 6 months out from radiation,chemo,double mastectomy...[more]
Dear Krolik:  While bone scans and other radiographic studies are frequently done as part of the initial staging evaluation, these studies are not routinely repeated at the completion of chemotherapy and radiation therapy for operable breast cancer.  Additional studies may be recommended to follow up on new symptoms or abnormalities seen on prior scans. In addition, scans generally are done to monitor response to treatment in patients with inoperable (or metastatic) breast cancer.  
2 Comments
Blank
Hi -
I had bone,chest and liver scans done after surgery and before chemo and radiotherapy. All were clear. However, some 18 months later I had severe pain in my left hip and had another bone scan done, which showed arthritis in both hips, hands and feet. . I was so relieved it was not mestastases from my breast cancer. If you are worried about pains, I would suggest you talk to your Oncologist or GP
Take care, Liz.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...