Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Infants with Breast Cancer?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Infants with Breast Cancer?

My daughter is almost 2, my mother and aunt both died w/ breast cancer, and I was also diagnosed at 30yrs old.  My daughter has had a fever for 2 weeks as high as 106.8 several times.  The doctor has given an antibiotic, but is unsure of the cause.  We've also been noticing her left nipple has turned white.  We didn't think much about the nipple until she just told us it was hurting.  

Is it possible for an infant to get breast cancer, or what might be the other causes for this?  Her other symptoms include swollen lymph nodes in her left side of her throat.
Dear Jennifer728:  It is not possible for a girl to get breast cancer before there is breast tissue (or before puberty).  Of course, it is possible for infants to get all kinds of other problems, including some types of cancer. Your pediatrician will be best equipped to help determine the source of the fevers and other symptoms.