Infected breast cyst
Hi, I have a lump on my right breast that seems to be infected, sore and tender. I had it checked it out by my GP, and had an ultrasound as requested. The ultrasound results said that I have an infected cyst or obcess. I am currently on antibiotics. The infected area was so painfull until a green thick and thin puss came out of it, and you can sort of see a little hole where the lump was located (sorry to be too graphical), is this normal? is it usually caused by just the cyst itself or is it somthing else?. Another important question is, I am currently breastfeeding my 1 yr old baby and to scared to use the infected breast, is it safe to proceed breastfeeding?

Thank you
I don't know how long you have been on antibiotics but you might ask about breast feeding while taking them too. When a cyst becomes infected it then becomes an abscess and I wonder if after the course of antibiotics is completed if your Dr. might consider sending you to a Surgeon regarding removal of this cyst. It would be good for the abscess to drain and I would think that should be encouraged possibly with warm packs to the area. You should ck. with your Dr. though before trying any additional treatment. I don't think a consultation with a Breast Surgeon would be out of order. About the breast feeding; you should express (empty) the milk from that breast anyway as this can lead to a milk duct problem. Perhaps your Ob/Gyn might also have some advice along these lines. Regards....
A related discussion, Hate my breast was started.