Inflamed Montgomery's Gland
My sister (age 49) was diagnosed at age 32 and is a breast cancer survivor. There is no other history of breast cancer in my family. For the past month or so I have had an inflamed Montgomery's Gland which started off as a scaly sore and is only slightly less scaly. The areola itches and the nipple is sensitive to clothing. I had a mammogram which showed nothing followed by a breast exam by my Ob/Gyn. Her recommendation was to put Neosporin on it and come back in a couple of weeks if it hasn't healed. That was 1 week ago and there is no marked improvement. I am worried that this might be Inflammatory Breast Cancer which I understand can present without any lumps in the breast. Should I be insisting on a needle biopsy given my sister's early incidence of breast cancer?
I believe that your best move would be to make an appointment with a Breast specialist or a dermatologist.The symptoms of IBC appear with a swollen breast,redness,itch, warm to the touch, with or without a lump and the skin of the breast becomes like (Peau d'orange) like the skin of an orange.You don't mention if you also have these symptoms.You can certainly ask for a skin biopsy since this problem is not being solved with the antibiotic cream.Since you have a sister that was diagnosed with breast cancer(Good to know that she is a long time survivor! :) )you should pursue this matter until you are fully satisfied with the outcome.Best wishes and good luck.
Thanks! Hadn't thought of a dermatologist and it might be faster to get into see her than a breast specialist. She can do a biopsy also.