Breast Cancer Community
Inflamed Montgomery's Gland

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Inflamed Montgomery's Gland

My sister (age 49) was diagnosed at age 32 and is a breast cancer survivor. There is no other history of breast cancer in my family. For the past month or so I have had an inflamed Montgomery's Gland which started off as a scaly sore and is only slightly less scaly. The areola itches and the nipple is sensitive to clothing. I had a mammogram which showed nothing followed by a breast exam by my Ob/Gyn. Her recommendation was to put Neosporin on it and come back in a couple of weeks if it hasn't healed. That was 1 week ago and there is no marked improvement. I am worried that this might be Inflammatory Breast Cancer which I understand can present without any lumps in the breast. Should I be insisting on a needle biopsy given my sister's early incidence of breast cancer?
I believe that your best move would be to make an appointment with a Breast specialist or a dermatologist.The symptoms of IBC appear with a swollen breast,redness,itch, warm to the touch, with or without a lump and the skin of the breast becomes like (Peau d'orange) like the skin of an orange.You don't mention if you also have these symptoms.You can certainly ask for a skin biopsy since this problem is not being solved with the antibiotic cream.Since you have a sister that was diagnosed with breast cancer(Good to know that she is a long time survivor! :) )you should pursue this matter until you are fully satisfied with the outcome.Best wishes and good luck.
Avatar n tn
Thanks! Hadn't thought of a dermatologist and it might be faster to get into see her than a breast specialist. She can do a biopsy also.