Breast Cancer Community
Inflammatory Breast Cancer /Blister?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Inflammatory Breast Cancer /Blister?

Hello, One morning I woke up with a water blister on my left breast that was accidentally opened when drying with a towel.  I applied neosporin throughout the next two days and it did not improve but rather became very swollen, and red.  I thought that perhaps it was a burn caused by my heating pad and applied burn gel.  I saw an immediate improvement for 24 hours.  The next morning the area became very red, swollen, and had a white cap over the blister.  I saw my family doctor approximately six days after the first day I noticed the blister.  He did schedule me with a local general surgeon for a consultation and possible biopsy.  I have not applied anything other than ice and have taken vitamin C.  My doctor did talk to me about IBC but felt it may be a spider bite.  I have seen a great deal of improvement while waiting for my consult.  Breast no longer shows redness or swelling except around the actual wound which is the size of a dime.  I am terrified while waiting for my appointment.  Any thoughts as far as possible IBC? or  advice or tips of how to approach my consultation.  I feel I have already lost quite a bit of time if it is IBC.
I doubt it because I don't believe that you would have seen any improvement with the remidies you have used. I would think perhaps a Breast Specialist would have been in order but maybe the Surgeon does specializes in breast issues. It's too bad you couldn't have gotten in right away for your own peace of mind. I don't know how long you have yet to wait but if it's more than a few days you might call and ask that you be called if they have a cancellation before your scheduled appnt. time. Take care ....
Hi there,

When something unusual occurs or doesn't have a quick or easy explanation, it's human nature to fear the worst, especially for women when it comes to our breasts.
IBC (and other types of breast cancer) simply don't improve for the better and certainly not in such a short space of time.
I suggest you continue with your appointment without too much concern, however, at the end of the day, it's how we feel that matters.
If the waiting time is causing you a large amount of stress, then certainly get your appointment escalated or see if you can get a referral to another surgeon (a breast surgeon this time, not sure why you were referred to a general)

Best wishes