Breast Cancer Community
Inflammatory Breast Cancer vs infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Inflammatory Breast Cancer vs infection

I have been told I have a breast infection.  After three day of antibiotics, the symptoms are going away.  I am 53 years old.  I have been told that IBC does not respond to antibiotics.  I really have no reason to have gotten an infection.  The swelling has gone down somewhat and the pain has decreased greatly, but the redness is still there.  Obviously, I will take the full 10 days of antibiotics.

Should I still get a biopsy?  IBC is such an aggressive cancer that I don't want to mess around.

Can IBC cause an infection?  

Any thoughts or experiences on this would be greatly appreciated.

I think you may have the breast infection. I would wait a few days and see if your condition continues to get better, and then the diagnosis is probably right.  I was diagnosed with IBC last year and it really does not hurt as much as a breast infection. My nipple also became very inverted, which is a common sign. One breast was much bigger than the other, in my case the affected one was much smaller. And there was dimpling on the side of the arm. I hope that helps a little.
Of course your response helps!  I have had some problems with that breast a few times over the last 8 years or so.  My nipple is also inverted.  However, I've never had nipples that were very pronounced.  That breast has been larger than the right for awhile now - not significantly so like it is now.  A few years ago I decided to try some cereal that had soy in it because I've heard many women my age add so because it is a plant estrogen.  I immediately reacted to it and had a bloody discharge from my left breast.  The doctor did a biopsy then and it was fine.  I also have had some issues on that side of my body - the shoulder, collarbone and breast bone would ache for weeks at a time.

Anyway, with all of this I just want to be sure I pay attention and not shrug off anything.

What happened to you - how did you know that something was wrong and what did they do to diagnosis it and treat it?  I'm sorry you have this.

Thanks for your response
Try this website which shows some pictures that might be helpful, as well as other criteria for diagnosing IBC.  However, if you are worried and aren't experiencing any relief, I would call my doctor or OB/Gyn back.

http://www.ibcresearch.org/symptoms/

Wishing you a healthy recover!
Thank you!
im 37, i have had a skin tag on my left nipple for bout 5 yrs. after my last son was born. now out of nowhere, it hurts and the doc said it is infected. when i get out of the shower it is like an open wound with white raw head and then leaks yellow puss into my bra. then i noticed when open to air its not raw and is skin color again but hard on the end of it. anyway treating it with topical antibiotic and doc will remove it next week, he does not seem to be concerned, but he is not a specialist, just my md doc. he also said it looked more like a wart, has anyone else had this problem? please talk to me.