Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Inflammatory Breast Cancer?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Inflammatory Breast Cancer?

I have been undergoing an extensive workup since April to determine the cause of a sedimentation rate that has been as high as 97.  I had a left axillary node biopsy 6 weeks ago that revealed reactive hyperplasia, after a few nodes showing avid and/or enlarged on PET.  Since about 10 days after the biopsy, my left breast has some chords in it just under the skin that feel taught and the skin over them retracts.  There is sometimes diffuse pain in that breast.  I had the surgery done out of state at a major facility and have not been able to get the surgeon to return my call for a week now.  My doctors at home differ from each other as to whether this is a result of the surgery or a symptom of developing inflammatory breast cancer.  My appointment with a breast specialist is not for three weeks, but I know that IBC is very aggressive and that seems like too long to wait.  I had labs done Friday and my sed rate is now 40 (0-20 ref.) and CRP is .22 (.2-10.0 ref.).  Do these labs indicate that it is likely NOT a growing cancer, or are they alarming, or irrelevant?  I need to decide whether to drop everything, leave my 2-year-old with Daddy, and fly back to the major facility for immediate diagnosis.  Thank you for your opinion.
Wondering1719
Dear wondering1719:  Inflammatory breast cancer generally presents as a hot, red, swollen breast. The skin may appear like an orange peel.  Neither sed rate or crp would be diagnostic and the relevance of any elevation is unknown.  These are very non specific tests.  Our recommendation is to see your doctor and if you are concerned see if you can get the appointment moved up.