Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Inflammatory Breast Tissue

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Inflammatory Breast Tissue

I have had lumps in both armpits for 12 weeks.  I have had a mammogram (negative), ultrasound (negative), chest x-ray (negative) and CBC (normal).  A breast surgeon I visited yesterday said "inflammatory breast tissue" and prescribed anti-inflammatory medication.  My question is "what causes this"?  I have never had such a condition in my 42 years.  I am still experiencing regular cycles.  I did have a viral infection resulting in a full trunk body rash and aching joints 14 weeks ago.  He said he saw no connection.  In the meantime, the joints of my feet and knees are aching even after sitting for a time.  Again, he saw no connection.  
Dear SheilaCatherine, There is the possibility of the lumps in the armpits could be enlarged lymph nodes.  Lymph nodes may enlarge for many reasons such as a reaction to infection, or irritation.  I'm not sure how the "diagnosis" of inflammatory breast tissue was arrived at, the lumps were in the armpit not the breast correct?  I would recommend discussing your symptoms with a general medical doctor who can help to pinpoint the direction of further evaluation for you.
Dear CCF-RN, MSN-JS,
Thanks for your response.  The diagnosis was made after he reviewed test results and manipulated the lump.  He then said it was NOT a lymph gland but inflammed breast tissue.  I was a little confused because it's on both sides and it came on at the same time I was experiencing a viral infection.  So, a second opinion (aside from my OB-GYN and the breast surgeon) would be your suggestion?  Again, my thanks!!!