Breast Cancer Community
Internal Mammary Lymph Nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Internal Mammary Lymph Nodes

In May, 2010, I was diagnosed with STAGE I, 8 mm. no axillary node involvement, HER II positive on right breast.  Had lumpectomy, then reexcision because all of DCIS was not removed.  Then a second separate lesion was discovered of 8mm. All margins were clean. Underwent 4 rounds of taxotere,cytoxan and 12 weekly herceptins.  Now receiving herceptin every 3 weeks.  I elected for a double mascectomy with DIEP reconstruction.  Pathology report says one of the 2 internal mamary lymph nodes taken during surgery was cancerous. I would like to have surgery to remove the remainder of the internal mammary lymph nodes on the right side. CT of the body is normal and oncologist recommends 7 weeks of radiation to the area only.  What are your indications?  Thank you.

This discussion is related to Lymph node involvement in internal mammary gland.
I can understand your wanting every bit of cancer removed from your body, but the internal mammary lymph nodes apparently can be very difficult to reach.

I think you should discuss this with your surgeon, and see if s/he feels it would be possible to remove the additional mammary lymph nodes. If this is not feasible, then
let's hope the radiation "kills" any possible remaining malignant cells, and that the Herception keeps any form returning.

Best wishes...
If you have radiation, you cannot have surgery later. My daughter went thru the same thing. She had all cancer removed first then the radiation because that is what she was told. It has been over 7 years ago. All is still clear. We won.