Breast Cancer Community
Intramammary Lymph Nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Intramammary Lymph Nodes

On my mammo they found 3 intramammary lymph nodes.  I had an ultrasound and MRI to confirm.  I was seen by a surgeon who felt that they were probably benign.  He wants to wait 3 months and do another utrasound to see if there has been any changes.  My mother had breast cancer twice at ages 43 and 50.  I am 44 years old.  I have not been comfortable with the wait and see answer.  No one can tell for sure if there is any cancer cells without doing a biopsy.  The last few days the area that they found the lymph nodes has gotten tender.  I really do not know what to do.  Anyone have any input.

Thanks Beth
1 Comment
Hi Beth,
Watchful waiting is a reasonable option in patients with a suspicious mass in the breast.  You will note for any changes in the character of the lymph nodes and report it to your doctor.  However, since you have a family history of breast cancer, I believe a biopsy of the lymph node would be better.  Perhaps you can ask your surgeon if a biopsy can be done now instead of observing if there will be changes in the character of the lymph nodes.
Take care.