Breast Cancer Community
Invasive Mammary Carcinoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Invasive Mammary Carcinoma

I had what was described as a cyst with debris.  The fine needle aspiration came back as having "a few atypical cells" and a core biopsy was recommended.  

I had a core biopsy yesterday and today I was called to my interninst office and he told me I have breast cancer.  They have not staged it yet, but below is what the report says.  Can someone PLEASE shed some light on this.  I'm 49 and post menopausal.  Can anyone tell me what to expect?  They are working on finding me a surgeon now.  Will I need chemo?  HELP!

DIAGNOSIS:

Right breast at 8-9:00
Invasive Mammary Carcinoma, Poorly differentiated with Moderate Lymphocytic Reaction.  
In SITU component is not identified
No diagnostic evidence of Lymphovascular Invasion is seen
Fibroadenomatoid change.
Acute Hemorrhagic and Necrotizing to Chronic Fibrosing Inflammation, consistent with previous aspiration site.
Immunohistochemical studies for ER/PR and HER 2 NEU Pending:  A separate report will follow.
Note:  Possibility of Medullary Carcinoma of Breast should be considered on Excisional Specimen.

I know you've heard from Japdip before, and I'm sure she'll comment to you as well.  Ok, so you have breast cancer.  That's what we know so far.  I know how shocking and world altering it is.  I've been there, along with millions of other women (and some men).  It's ok to feel really bad about right now.  It's ok to cry and to be afraid.  We all asked "Why me" and then realized "why not me".  Here's the thing to begin with:  Be kind to yourself and do what you need and nothing more.  Take comfort from friends and family.

Then you will start getting information about what you specifically have, and what is recommended you do about it.  Get a second opinion if you need to in order to make a decision.  But take it a step at a time.  Rest when you need to and know that you will do what is needed to take the best care of yourself that you can.  

We're glad we can be here for you.  Ask as many questions as you need to and come here to seek support.

Warmly,

Chris
Healingwell62
Breast Cancer 1 & 2 Community Leader
Hi shadow8559,

I am the same age as you, 49 will be next week, and I got as a bithday gift the diagnosis of breast cancer. My biopsy is:
Right breast 10:00 invasive mammary carcinoma with signet ring features. Ductal carcinoma in situ (DSIC), intermediate nuclear grade with apocrine cytology, cribriform pattern with necrosis. Atypical duct hyperplasia (ADH). Proliferative fibrocystic changes including usual duct hyperplasia.

Please comment, if you can. And how do you fill now?
I will be 49 next week, and I got as a bithday gift the diagnosis of breast cancer. My biopsy is:

Please comment, if you can.