Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Invasive ductal adenocarcinoma

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Invasive ductal adenocarcinoma

I have been diagnosed with invasive ductal adenocarcinoma, intermediate nuclear grade, lump ranging from1 to 2 cm in length, all average 0.4 cm in width.

Sections of the right breast ultrasound needle core biopsy show haphazardly arranged malignant cells in nests and trabecula within a desmoplastic stroma, indicative of invasive ductal adenocarcinoma, intermediate nuclear grade.  The greatest contiguous extent of invasive malignancy within the tissue is measured on the glass slide as 0.6 cm.  An in situ component is not defininitely identified.  (This info from the pathology report.)

Could you explain the severity of this kind of cancer?  I have opted to have a double mastectomy because of family history and also have 2 cycsts on my left breast that are not cancerous.  I would like to have my reconstructive surgery done at the same time as the mastectomy.  Is there any reason to not do this.  I am not sure if I will have chemo or radiation.  Thanks for any info you can provide.
Dear pj1960:  From this information, the only thing that can be said about this tumor is that the largest section is small (0.6cm) and that it is intermediate grade (not the most aggressive but not the least aggressive).  There are many other factors to be considered when determining the prognosis and the treatment recommendations.  You should discuss this with your oncologist who will know more of the information and be able to discuss it with your in the context of your situation.