Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Invasive ductal adenocarcinoma
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Invasive ductal adenocarcinoma

I have been diagnosed with invasive ductal adenocarcinoma, intermediate nuclear grade, lump ranging from1 to 2 cm in length, all average 0.4 cm in width.

Sections of the right breast ultrasound needle core biopsy show haphazardly arranged malignant cells in nests and trabecula within a desmoplastic stroma, indicative of invasive ductal adenocarcinoma, intermediate nuclear grade.  The greatest contiguous extent of invasive malignancy within the tissue is measured on the glass slide as 0.6 cm.  An in situ component is not defininitely identified.  (This info from the pathology report.)

Could you explain the severity of this kind of cancer?  I have opted to have a double mastectomy because of family history and also have 2 cycsts on my left breast that are not cancerous.  I would like to have my reconstructive surgery done at the same time as the mastectomy.  Is there any reason to not do this.  I am not sure if I will have chemo or radiation.  Thanks for any info you can provide.