Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Inverted Nipple

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Inverted Nipple
I've had an inverted nipple for 3 years. I did have a mammogram and ultrasound back in August of 2005. Was told that everything was okay. I had an appointment with my doctor, she is very concerned and would like me to have another mammogram. What causes an inverted nipple? Should I be concerned? Please if someone could get back to me. Thank you very much!
Dear Araseli,  There could be several causes of an inverted nipple, such as scarring after surgery, past history of infected ducts in the breast,  inflammation of the breast duct, it could also be a sign of a serious underlying condition such as cancer and should be evaluated.  

Has anything changed since your last mammogram? Inverted nipples can be totally normal, or they can indicate a problem. If they said everything was ok in 2005 I don't understand why they're so concerned about it now unless there has been other change in your breast.
My late mother had an inverted nipple some 20 yrs ago - no mammos done then in England. I think she was in her late 60's at the time. She was staying with me for a visit (she lived 600 miles away) and I took her the next morning to my GP. He wrote a letter to her GP where she lived and she was hospitalised for a lumpectomy within a few days after returning home. No cancer was found, and we never got an explanation as to what caused it. I guess these things sometimes happen for no known reason. Have you tried googling "inverted nipple"?  - they may have some answers. We didn't have internet access in those days so I couldn't look it up.
I hope your problem is the same as my Mum's.
Liz.
A related discussion, inverted nipple was started.