Breast Cancer Community
Irregular Breast Mass Found

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Irregular Breast Mass Found

I have had some pain over last week or two on left breast extending to underarm. I found a lump. I went to doctor today and they think i have an irregular mass and I will be having Mamogram (mammogram) in two days. I do drink SOME caffiene...about a cup of coffee and maybe one coke a day....is this enough to cause this lump? I have also heard if it were BREAST cancer more than likely I would not feel pain...is this true????

I am 36 ....no family history and have had children.
Hi,yes it is true that cancer is almost never associated with pain,what you have could be a cyst or fibroadenoma and both are benign findings.It's a good thing that you are having a mammogram to better analyze this lump,without the proper tests it's impossible to tell you exactly what this lump is....I know that drinking coffee,tea,sodas.energy drinks and chocolate in excess can cause lumps but I don't think that one coffee or a soda would be a problem.I wish you good luck for your upcoming mammogram Please keep us posted about your results ..Take care.
Thank you!!!! Can you Define irregular mass for me?????
An irregular lump means that it's not round in shape.It becomes somewhat suspicious in nature but it doesn't mean that it's cancerous... because you say that you can feel pain.Some fibrocystic tissue may have a thickened irregular feel..also fat necrosis lumps appear as irregular but they are both benign in nature.Try,if you can not to worry too much...the mammogram will clarify what this lump is.If found to be suspicious,an Ultrasound might follow and also a biopsy if needed.All the best to you.
I had mamogram (mammogram)....also ultrasound. The tech could feel lump when going over during ultra sound but nothing showed up. I can stil feel lumps. Should I have more tests?
I guess if you are not comfortable with nothing showing up in the tests that were done, an MRI would probably be a good tool to find out about these lumps.I wish I could help you more but I don't know what to tell you except maybe to see a breast specialist who can advise you and maybe order a biopsy.Take care.
You may not remember me but  you responded to questions i had in May re: mamogram (mammogram)/ultrasound. Please see below....I would like any info/advice I can get at this point. I am getting a little worried.

I have a lump under left arm. Feels like swollen lymph node. Is hard not movable. I have had the lump for about five months....seems  to have gotten larger. I had mamogram (mammogram)/ ultrasound in May./June ?...nothing showed up.

I saw my doctor yesterday. She  was able to feel the lump & is treating as fibrositic. I am to take Vitamin e & evening primrose for a couple weeks. Dr. wants to see if this clears problem.  I also have to quit all caffine during the couple week period. Has anyone had this similar experience? Is there chance this is cancer or more likely Fibrosistic disease? Is there a link to Fibrosistic disease & breast cancer? I do NOT have family history of breast cancer. I do have a sister that has had ovarian cancer. I would be grateful for any info!  

I probably should have mentioned that I am on my third round of antibiotics....for different reason but if it is an infection wouldnt the antibiotics work on it as well? I have been on Augmentin 875 ( two rounds), Clyndimician & now Keflex.
Hi,there,yes I remember you...Well the more negative imaging you have,the greater the chance that the lump is of benign nature.However as important the mammograms or ultrasounds are, they are certainly not perfect.It is uncommon..but possible to have negative imaging and still have an unwanted finding.Your doctor could be right about this being a Fibrocystic problem but really this can't be known for sure....If I were you,after the two weeks if you see that nothing has changed, I would ask your doctor to order an MRI,maybe it could show something more..if not then you know that no test can diagnose you with cancer(God forbid) unless a tissue sample is taken from the lump and examined by a pathologist.It's a very good thing that you have eliminated Caffeine because although caffeine doesn't cause the lump but it can certainly make it more painful and enlarged.Please,you need to follow this up until you are fully satisfied with the end result.PS.I really don't know anything about the last medications you mentioned,but I hope the antibiotics will work.Take care..