Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Is Neck pain normal?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Is Neck pain normal?

I had a port put in this past Friday during my sentinel node biopsy. How long is the pain supposed to last? I feel like my throat is being pushed on where one incision is and the place where they put the port is really sore and stinging. I don't know if its the tape that is still on my neck or if it's on the inside. The underarm hurts too but is this port pain normal 2 days afterwards? They also put in a breathing tube (I guess) when I was put under anesthesia and one side of my bottom lip is so swollen and numb. The nurses told me at first that I must have bit it but I doubt that I could have done that. I think something happened when they pulled out the tube. When will this swelling go down? I don't want to be a whiner but this is a weird feeling.

Jen
Dear Jen:  Discomfort after port placement, like all pain, can vary widely.  You should discuss this with your doctor or the doctor who placed the port to discuss whether the symptoms you describe would be expected based on the procedure that was done.  Without evaluation, it is impossible for us to speculate on what may be causing your pain.  Your doctors may be able to provide better insight.