Breast Cancer Community
Is hormone therapy necessary?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Is hormone therapy necessary?

My sister had her right breast removed 2 months ago.  Her pathological exam reveals ductal carcinoma with highly differential cell type.  0/11 lymph nodes were positive.  Immunohistological markers are tested from two centers one results were ER+, PR+, Ki67+<2% and Cerb-B2++ and the other is ER(-), PR+++, Cerb-B2+++ and Ki67 (-).  Does she need hermone therapy and chemo at all and what is the prognosis for her?

Thanks much.
1 Comment
Generally if any lymph nodes are positive chemo is required.  Normally 8 sessions.  The size of the lump, age of the patient and menopausal status would also determine if chemo is required.  Although I was node negative and had a 2cm lump, I was 39 when diagnoised, premenopausal and the cancer was grade 3 so I was given 4 sessions of chemo.

From reading the info above, your siste is ER and PR positive so hormone therapy is normally suggested.  I too am ER and PR positive and will receive Hormone Therapy.