Breast Cancer Community
Is recurrence of fibroadenoma less than a year after lumpectomy normal?...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Is recurrence of fibroadenoma less than a year after lumpectomy normal?

Hello.

I'm a single 19 year old female and I had a lumpectomy last March -19th to be specific- to remove a fibroadenoma from my right breast. Yesterday, during a self-exam, I discovered a rather large lump on the opposite side of the same breast. Is it normal to have a recurrence for the fibroadenoma so soon? And also, should I be worried that this new lump seemed to appear so suddenly?

Thank you in advance,

Hathor.
Yes fibroadenoma can reoccur and the only advice I can give you, is to go back to your Doctor and have this new lump evaluated .
Having had a Fibroadenoma in the past,doesn't mean that this new one would be the same.
Fibroadenomas are harmless tumor that's seen a lot in teenagers. It's virtually certain to be nothing serious, but since they are solid, one has to make sure that they are indeed Fibroadenomas.I am sure that your doctor,after examining you, will advise you what tests to order in your case.
Please have this new lump checked out..
Sending you my good wishes.. :)
Please have this new lump checked out..
Sending you my good wishes.. :)
Thank you for the response as well as the advice. I'll definitely get it checked out by my doctor.

Thank you once more.