Breast Cancer Community
Is there a possibility of too much bruising after lumpectomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

How much is too much bruising after a lumpectomy?  The surgery went fine but boy oh boy am I bruised!  The bruising has just about covered 1/2 the breast.  Is there any bruising that is too much?  Or will it all go away with time?  There does not appear to be an infection, just bruising.  It was a 3cm mass that was removed.  Is that large as far as breast lumps are concerned?  I don't see the doctor for 5 days yet and am a little worried. I don't have the results back yet.  My ultrasound was a category 4 needs biopsy.  
The usual side effects following lumpectomy include - temporary swelling of the breast, breast tenderness, breast soreness and hardness due to scar tissue that forms in the surgical site. There could be some bruising, which should usually subside in 2-3 days. Apply some medicated creams that your doctor must have prescribed or some moisturing lotion at the bruise site. Goodluck with the reports.
Hi.
I'm glad that you finally decided to go through with something: and here you are after a lumpectomy.
It is hard to say how much is too much bruising, generally if you feel that you're running a temperature, if there is bleeding, or discharge then you should see your doctor earlier. The bruises generally take time to heal, some may take 3 months or longer. the body generally absorbs the excess fluid and blood in the bruise.
In less that 1% of cases these is a large bruise that may take too long to be absorbed and may need drainage. The surgeon would be able to evaluate if one exists by the time you follow-up.
Keep positive. My best to you.
After my August, 2006 Lumpectomy that removed a 2cm lesion, I suffered HUGE bruising. In my case, it was over my entire breast, and even went down my side, from the SNB. It was grotesque. Even my surgeon was rather appalled.

My surgeon offered to "drain it.", but I didn't want any more surgery. So, I elected a "wait and see" and by November, 2006, three months later, it was fine. It looked and still looks, almost normal. Except for a slight indentation at the lumpectomy site. But cosmetically, a great outcome. The scar is invisible.

One thing you might try is an OTC cream called "Vita-K Solution with Arnica" For Bruising. I used that. Of course, don't use it any where near, the incision. And maybe it helped me and maybe it didn't. The Placebo Effect.

But I think it did. YMMV.

For my part, I just have a bleeding tendency, this was not the first time I bled, massively, as the result of a surgical procedure. Perhaps you have a bleeding tendency, as well. And no, a 3cm mass (around 3/4inch) that's not that big. Although, depends, too, on your breast size. My 2cm lesion, with my 36DD breasts, that's like nothing. For a AA breast size, that's a big deal.

Good luck, with your results. I got way clear margins and a negative SNB.

Hoping that you get the same good results.
The bruising is starting to go away now.  It is looking better and better.  I am on a lot of meds for other things.  Maybe this is why I bled so badly.  Go to the Doc today for results and wound check.  He called yesterday with results of necrotic fat tissue.  All benign.  Must have injured my breast at some point in time.  I am legally blind so this is very possible.  I run into walls all the time and have had a few severe falls.  Thanks for all the well wishes.