Breast Cancer Community
Is this Paget's Dusease?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Is this Paget's Dusease?

Hi everyone,

I would truly appreciate your input or experiences with this.

Two months ago my right breast became very itchy. A rash on my right areola (dark area around the nipple) would come and go.

Starting a month ago, this rash wouldn't go away. It's not oozing or anything, but this rash has gotten darker. It covers about 1/3 of my areola and sometimes it randomly hurts. It's a sharp pain that doesn't last very long, but it's like needles poking it. The pain only occurs where the rash is. There is no sign of a rash on my nipple so the rash is only on the areola.

Now my right breast has this dark spot that covers a part of my areola which occasionally itches or hurts.

I'm turning 49 this year and when I saw my doctor last month she sent me to get my mammogram and ultrasound which both came out good. My general doctor kind of dismissed it when she saw it and said that the skin on my right breast is dry and that I should rub vaseline on it.

I'm wondering what this rash is because it really has me worried. I think I'm starting my menopause process because my periods are becoming more frequent. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but I'm just pointing it out. I'm getting periods once every 3 weeks.

I was just wondering what this could be. It almost looks like a bruise covering 1/3 of my right areola

Thank you for your time and help
And just to clarify there is no nipple discharge.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? It's good that your mammogram and ultrasound are normal, erasing any doubts of cancer in your breast. Paget's disease of the breast is a rare form of breast cancer and starts in the breast ducts and extends to the areola. In the early stages of the disease, you might notice only some flaky or scaly skin on your nipple, accompanied by slight itching or redness which might ooze or become crusty. You can read more about this through this link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pagets-disease-of-the-breast/DS00771

Perimenopause, on the other hand,  means the menopause transition years, the years both before and after the last period. The production of most of the reproductive hormones diminishes and becomes more irregular resulting to hot flashes, mood changes, insomnia, fatigue, memory problems, itchiness, skin thinning and becoming drier. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menopause)

If you notice that your skin condition does not resolve with vaseline, it would be best to make a follow-up with your doctor for proper evaluation. I hope this helps. Take care and keep us posted.