Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Itchy nipple, swollen areola

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Itchy nipple, swollen areola

For the past two days, my left nipple has been extremely itchy. There is also a small lump about the size of a pimple on my areola, just above the nipple. The swelling in the lump goes down every so often, inconsistently, and then it returns. There is no discharge or skin discoloration, and no one in my family has ever had breast cancer, so I doubt that's what it is, but you can't be too careful with things like this. Even if it's nothing to worry about, could you please tell me some remedies to make the itching stop? It's driving me crazy.
Dear Svajone, Itching could be related to many things, particularly a rash of some type.  The skin on the breast is like skin on the rest of your body and can be susceptible to a variety of skin conditions.  Over the internet without ability to  evaluate including physical examination we cannot make recommendations for any type of treatment.  If this persists you may want to have your doctor take a look and advise.  
I began rubbing aloe on the itchy spot, and it's fine now. I guess it was just a rash of some sort, though I still don't know how I got it. Oh well. Problem solved.