Breast Cancer Expert Forum
JAP123

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

JAP123
I had a lumpectomy 2 years ago------received radiation using brachytherapy.  I was put in a study group to use exemestane.  Prior to the exemestane, I showed no osteoporosis in my Dexa scan.  I now am showing that I have Osteo.  ALSO, I have been experiencing numbness and tingling in my fingers and toes.  All of my blood work come back O.K.  I know that osteo is a side effect of exemestane.  Could the numbness and tingling also be a side effect of this drug??
Dear JAP123,   Exemestane is an aromatase inhibitor used as adjuvant therapy in the treatment of early stage breast cancer in post-menopausal women with hormone receptor positive tumors.  Neuropathy has been reported in association with exemestane although rarely, less than 1%.   Be sure to bring your symptoms to the attention of your oncologist who can evaluate them in context of your situation.