Breast Cancer Community
Joint Pain After Chemotheraphy and Herceptin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

My sister had chemotherapy and herceptin treatment before and after she had a radical mastectomy last year. She has been experiencing severe joint pain since that time.  She lived in South Carolina at the time and has since moved to Texas.  Her Oncologist in South Carolina had her on Fentanyl patches after lots of other medications didn’t work.  Her new Oncologist insists the joint pain has nothing to do with her cancer or treatments and wants her off the Fentanyl. He believes she has Fibromyalgia and wants her to try some of the same medications she has already tried.  She had no pain and was very healthy and active prior the her  prior to her treatment.  Has anyone else experienced this?

This discussion is related to long term joint pain after chemotherapy.
Some medications will cause joint pain, however, once she is off them it should go away. Herceptin dies not cause joint pain. Have her go to a rhemotologist. Other things can be wrong besides cancer and it's treatment.
Avatar n tn
Herceptin gave me bone pain.  It is listed as a side effect, along with Nausea and Diahrria.  I have incredible bone pain and I have been tested for R. Arth.  and it came back negative. I am amazed at how many people have this problem after chemo/radiation and herceptin and all of the experts say the same thing.....that shouldn't be.  I am just an anomoly...yah right.  Big brother pharma at their best.  
Welcome to our community!

I am sorry that you are having to deal with such terrible bone pain, in addition to fighting cancer!

Has the Herceptin at least been helpful in preventing recurrence or controlling your cancer, or is it still too early to tell?

Best wishes...