Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Joint pain

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Joint pain

I started taking Femara in May. I find that I am having a lot of joint pain and swelling especially in my hands and feet. My family doc gave me Vioxx and it seemed to help the pain in my hips and knees. My fingers look like sausages and I wake up at night and can hardly bend them. I have pain around the thumb base. They seem to get better during the day. I'm supposed to be on the drug for 5 years.. I'm willing to have some discomfort to prevent recurrences of my cancer but would like to know if the side effects go away with time.  A friend of mine said that the swelling may be causing Carpal Tunnel.
Thanks for your help....
Dear Fuzzywuzzy,  Femara (letrozole) is generally well tolerated with major side effects being: hot flashes, vaginal dryness, mild nausea, mild diahhrea, hair thinning, tiredness and headache.  That is not to say some aches and pains can be attributed to it, but it would be unusual that this joint pain and swelling is solely due to the Femara.  You may want to check with your doctor, who knows your complete medical and treatment history, as well as, any other medications you may be on, if there is another reason for this pain and swelling.
1 Comment
A related discussion, femara-side effects was started.
A related discussion, Femara was started.