Breast Cancer Community
Knot on Breast After Injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Knot on Breast After Injury

I just returned from the radiologist where I had a mammogram screening and an ultrasound mammogram.  The knot on the breast was caused from  fall that I took about 11 months ago.  I fell forward onto the left breast, which took the major part of the blow.  The skin was never broken, but I had quite a colorful bruise and swelling.

They did a great job and took several mammogram screen shots.  Then I was taken to another room where they did the ultrasound.  The knot showed up as a white mass (just as I figured it would).  Then the radiologist came into the room while I was still on the table.  She moved the ultrasound thing over the area.  She said she was "bothered" about a black spot there.  But she said anytime there is a lump, knot, or swelling, they always do a biopsy.  She never said, "Don't worry, this is probably nothing."  However, she did say that fat necrosis was probably there but she didn't know for sure.

I am to return this coming Wednesday for a core needle biopsy of the knot.  I have to be off of aspirin for 5 days before they can do that procedure, so that explains why they couldn't do it today.

I know that even white masses can sometimes show up as cancer.  And I know that not all black spots are black or dark.  I'm just a little worried.  I don't have cancer in my family, and I have never had cancer myself.  But I just hope this is injury related and not cancerous.  Anyone else have any ideas?  Has anyone else here had an injury to the breast that left a knot after several months?  Just curious.  Without a biopsy no one can really know for certain, though.  

This discussion is related to ultrasound black spot.
I'm curious as to why the long interval between your injury and this recent Mammogram and Ultrasound. I would think that the injury could certainly cause a hematoma but for this to still be present after nearly a year ??? Although I have heard that breast injuries can cause cancer .... this is not the case. Anytime an abnormality is found that cannot be diagnosed definitely as a cyst or fibroadenoma then a biopsy of some type is in order as that is the only way to determine the true nature of the finding. The chance of fat necrosis is definitely a possibility or I should say a probability following an injury. Please keep us posted when you receive your biopsy results.   Regards ....
I didn't get the mammogram right after the accident because of the swollen breast and bruising.  They told me that it could take as long as a year for the breast to heal from the trauma.  I waited until the swelling subsided enough to go in for the mammogram. Perhaps I should kick myself.  But, the biopsy is this coming Wednedsay.
The radiologist said that the knot was most probably a hematoma at one time.  It's probably developed into fat necrosis now.  The image of the knot on the mammogram showed smooth edges.  When the radiologist looked at it through ultrasound imaging, some of the edges showed some "feathering."  She was bothered by that, but she added that a hematoma and fat necrosis can show some feathering as well.  So, who knows?  I'm exhausted from the stress of not knowing, and I've been crying off and on today.  I've been told that emotions run high during the time of waiting for the biopsy.
The explanation you were given regarding the hematoma and necrosis are very likely to be the answer. We always tend to think the worst in these situations; it's only natural. The wait time for biopsy results are from 2 to 7 days depending on the institution and of course the day of the week when you have the procedure. Sending good and positive thoughts your way; keep us posted when you get your results.   Take care ....
I think my radiologist and I will wait until the data is in.  I am only *mildly* optimisic.  I'm just trying to stop crying and start cleaning around the house.  I must get out the vacuum clearner.  And I MUST change the linens on my bed.  I've been so stressed that I'm not taking care of things!  Oh, dear.  I must might clean the baseboards tomorrow.  Nothing cures stress more than cleaning the baseboards!  Thanks, japdip!
Hi there :)

You're doing a wonderful job on your house and I was wondering if when you're done.....could you come over here and help  me out?

Seriously, .. if this is stressing you out beyond your baseboards make a simple phone call to your doc and ask for a small prescription of valium. I just waited out the results of a PET/CT over a holiday weekend so I sympathize, totally!

The biopsy isn't anything to worry about and you'll know the results in a week or so afterwards. Your mind is in overdrive, you know, the fight or flight thing... if you feel it's getting to be too much ask for help. And talk to us. Or come over and clean my house :)
I'm just stressing over the "black spot" and the "tiny little threads" that radiate from some of the edges.  And I'm concerned about what the heck is in that knot.  The radiologist said that what "bothered" her were the black spot and the threads.  I guess the mammograph and ultrasound really can't tell us much.  The biopsy will.  But I just wish that the mammogram and ultrasound could have told us what we needed to know at that point.

One woman I know of had a mammogram.  The ultrasound showed a black spot.  The radiologist said it was a cyst and not to worry.  My radiologist, on the other hand, apparently doesn't want to assume it's a cyst.  Oh, well.
My cancer was a black mass with tentacles. I know that doesn't help you at all. As you already know cancer also can show as white. And " it being nothing at all" can show up as either or both at the same time.

My radiologist gave me a sermon after the ultrasound that lasted about 20 minutes. He was crystal clear to me that under no circumstances was I to leave there thinking that everything was ok. He told me I had to schedule an immediate biopsy. I knew when I left I had cancer though he was very careful to not say that word.

Worrying is normal. I feel for you being in that position.
Sue:

I would love to come over and clean your house (ya, right)  LOL.  I haven't started cleaning mine yet.  It helped to take a shower and shampoo my hair, and I am more relaxed now.  

You know, the knot on my breast showed up as a white, round mass (about 1.5 inches in diameter).  It would be difficult to spot a cancer that shows up as white on a white mass.  That would be like looking for a golf ball in a snow bank.  So, I can understand why the radiologist would require the biopsy.  I think dark spots, black spots, large white masses, white spots, gray spots, etc. could be anything!  The only think I know is that the knot does not hurt when I touch it.  No redness around the area, either.  Just me and my knot (grin).
I got flowers today from a friend.  The best thing that happened was when the delivery lady came to the door.  She knew what was going on with me, and she said "Best of luck on that."  I was surprised that she knew.  But this is Alva and everyone in town probably knows.  HAHA

Anyway, I asked her to step inside for a minute.  I described what I had.  She said that she had the same thing once!  A knot on her breast.  Fat necrosis!!!  It looked just like mine, little tiny "feelers" extending from some of the edges.  She had the biopsy done, and it turned out negative.  It was fat necrosis.  She had the knot removed.  She didn't mention how big it was.

Anyway, finally, I have heard a similar case and I spent all that time scouring the WWW.  But the flower lady was an angel in disguise.  Let's hope that's all I've got.
Wouldn't that be wonderful if it's true for you? If it is, could you please send her and some flowers my way? LOL
I wish you could meet this lady.  She was so calm and reassuring.  I think I had an angel at my door this afternoon, and I really need that.  I wish I knew your address so that she could send flowers to you.  But let this message be enough.  "Faith Looks Up, not around." So look UP, Sue.
Whew!  Good news.  It turned out to be fat necrosis + resolving hematoma!  Radiologist just did a fine needle aspiration.  She drew out 33cc of fluid!  That was alot.  There was nothing left to do a biopsy, I guess.  She's sending the blood to the pathologist who will see if there are any "bad boys" in it.  I will hear something from the radiologist tomorrow.

I think I'm out of the woods?  Do you?  Or should I be concerned about anything else?
This is sounding GOOD! I've got my toes crossed for excellent results!!
Tnanks, Sue.  You know, I'm not an oncologist.  But if I were a cancer cell, I would NOT want to be feeding from OLD, dark, yucky, non-nutritious blood.  I would want to feed off of FRESH blood.  I think all signs are good.  My radiologist and her two assistants were happy.  They never gave me any sign that anything might be wrong.
Uh, that should be "Thanks" not Tnanks.  
Blood pathology report came back CLEAN!!!  Where's my glass of wine?  I have to return in 6 months for a follow-up mammogram (yuk).