LUMPECTOMY COMPLICATIONS (HEMATOMAS)
I had a lumpectomy on 5/29/12 which will be followed with radiation treatment. The tumor was 4mm, clear margins, and negative sentinal node. I won't be taking any AIs due to a history of embolisms and phlebitis. However, on 6/6/12 my surgeon suctioned over 400 cc of hematoma and blood from the excision site. To my dismay the hematomas and swelling have returned. It appears tha the incision will have to be reopened and suctioned again. What are other options at this point that I can discuss with my surgeon.
Usually small hematomas go away on their own after a while.Larger ones can be drained but unfortunately they can sometimes recur.I
If this is causing a lot of problems,the alternative would be to discuss with your doctor if the hematoma could be resolved through surgical evacuation.You could also ask if you might have a problem with clotting,then your doctor might want to have your coagulation parameters checked.out.
I hope that this problem,which is not dangerous but certainly bothersome,will be resolved soon.
All the best...