Breast Cancer Community
Large Breast Lump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Large Breast Lump

I am a nervous wreck and need all the support I can get.  I found a large size lump last week and immediately jumped on it.  Yesterday I had a mammogram and a ultrasound done. Monday I am going for a biopsy.  The lump is solid and I'm always experiencing pain.  The radiologist did say it was fibrocystic.  Is a radiologist really able to see the possibility of what it could be?  

I would really appreciate some feedback from everyone who have or are experiencing the same issue.  Although, I'm keeping faith, it's only natural to think the worst and worry.  To those of you who are fighting any illness, my prayers are with you.

Thanks to all and God bless!
Yes, something such as you describe can be determined with adequate accuracy by the Radiologist and the films. Since you say this evidently appeared fairly suddenly and you experience pain it is very likely to be a Fibroadenoma .... a benign breast tumor. Of course a biopsy is the ONLY way to determine if a finding is benign or malignant so your biopsy is an excellent idea. Many times these benign tumors can just be left alone or they can be removed if they cause a great deal of pain. With Fibrocystic Breast Condition (which affects many women) similar lumps can appear from time to time and they do tend to grow fairly rapidly. I would say "Calm down now" and take this one step at a time .. Best wishes for a good result from your upcoming biopsy.   Regards ....
Thanks a lot for your feedback.  I have been told by others as well to calm down and I'm going to do just that.

You did help to put my mind at ease a little.  Blessings to you.
Wanted to send an update.  Thank God the radiologist called it right.  I am cancer free but I will be back to visit this community from time to time ot offer my support.  
GREAT news ... and please do stop by whenever you can; everyone has a different experience and sharing is definitely WELCOME here. Congratulations !!!!
I am waiting for an OK from my insurance co. for an ultrasound following a shadow appearing on my mammorgram.  Am very worried, concerned and trying to not freak out totally!  I had a similar thing happen over 12 yrs. ago and it was fluid.  This shadow is 1 cm but I can not feel it.  Any wisdom/advice for me would be appreciated!!
In the future it would be best to post your questions or concerns as a new subject rather than as a comment on a post by someone else.
As far as your problem there may have been some indication as to what this "shadow" represents in the Mammogram report. It could be most anything showing up on the film so all I can add is to proceed with the Ultrasound as soon as it is approved and this no doubt will give you an answer regarding the finding. Regards .....