Breast Cancer Community
Large Fast growing Tumor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Large Fast growing Tumor

My 83yo mother just discovered a very large tumor in her upper breast, towards her underarm. It is about 4 inches in diameter. She had a mammogram about 2 months ago, and all was fine then. She immediatly saw her dr thought he said it might be a lipoma, but when I searched lipomas, it said they were slow growing tumors. This is obviously very fast growing. She had a cat scan this week and and the surgeon thought is might be a nodule in her muscle. She will be having a biopsy in 10 days. I will be there for that. What might it be? What questions should I ask? What do I need to know?
Could she perhaps have misunderstood and the Dr. may have said "Fibroadenoma" ? As far as what questions you should ask .... whatever concerns you but i'm sure the biopsy will have all the answers. Tumors related to breast cancer just don't grow this fast and since your Mother's mammogram was neg. only 2 months ago BC wouldn't be something to be concerned about. The muscle thing sounds plausable but if it's actually as large as you describe (4 in.) I wouldn't call it a nodule. At this point I don't think there are any definite  answers. what type of biopsy was suggested or are they planning to remove the entire lump ?? Sorry I can't be of more help; just be supportive and ask whatever concerns you ... the only foolish question is the one that remains unanswered.   Regards to you both...
They are going to do a section biospy on March 9th. At that time they are not planning on removing the lump. They are going to discuss what needs to be done next after the biospy.

My mom thought the catscan showed a nodule in a muscle, possilby swealing the muscle? To look at it, it is about the size of a baseball(1/2).

Thanks for your help. She actually is a 10yr survivor of Lung Cancer(caught very early).