Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lasting Post Mastectomy Pain
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Lasting Post Mastectomy Pain

It has been over two years since finishing all treatment for inflammatory breast cancer diagnosed in November, 2006, after months of the classic trying to convince health care folks that I had all the symptons as seen on the medical news on our local TV stations.  First 6 rounds of Chemo, then modified radical mastectomy, followed by 5-point (I think that was the term) radiation which resulted in burns with blisters on my chest.  Last radiation early in July 2007. I still have a lot of discomfort and pain in my surgical area, as well as the muscles in my back and side.  My chest feels like it has a big toilet bowl plunger stuck to it, pulling, pulling, pulling, almost 24-7.  Not necessarily excruiating pain, but it gets old.  My energy level stayed fairly high during all the treatments, no nausea, not much excess tiredness, missed very little work during the whole ordeal.  Surgeon recommended back to normal activity within 24 hours of mastectomy.   Have not had lymphodema, have good range of motion in shoulder, only some stiffness. But why does my surgical area remain so uncomfortable to painful almost 24-7???  Not the skin, not the radiated area discoloration, but the armpit and underarm areas, stinging and burning going all the way around to my shoulder blade??