Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Late term radiation induced health problems

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I had a lumpectomy and radiation therapy 24 years ago.  I spent three days in the hospital recently with atrial fibrillation and wonder how many other women are experiencing late effect problems from their radiation therapy and what are you doing about it?  An electro cardiogram showed calcification and thickening of my heart valve.  In addition, I am having chest  pains of unknown origin.  I am very holistic minded so would like to learn if anyone has been successful using a holisitc approach, supplements, etc.  It's interesting how the long term effects of radiation have never once been discussed with me by any of my doctors.  One area of research showed that radiation therapy causing heart issues needed to be identified prior to dental procedures.  I haven't had much luck finding natural or unnatural solutions.
Dear Jannine,   Late effects of cancer therapies are being brought more to attention as people are living longer after being treated for cancer.   An example of some of the data being gathered and reported was a study reported in the Journal of Clinical Oncology in August of 2006.    

I too am a little concerned about having radiation treatments, especially since it is in my left breast...closer to the heart! I already have angina due to a myocardial bridging, but it is currently stable. Because of this condition I get yearly stress tests done and echo cardiograms done to check for any damage. Thus far I have not had any. My oncologist did state, when asked about side affects;  that there have been instances reported, about 10 years after treatment, which could affect the heart and lungs., but that treatments are getting better.  I am very thankful that treatments have changed in the recent years am simply asking GOD to bless my radiation treatment and prevent any damage. This is my holistic approach. You can call it positive thinking or what ever, but I think it is important to speak to your problems and bless them or rebuke them. There is power in your words! I also like to imagine the color purple cleansing my cells. Don't ask me why, I just felt lead to do it. Cancer is bigger than any of us and we need to call on ALL the experts to help us fight it!. I truly believe GOD is working miracles in this area all over the world and pray he touches your body as he has touched mine. When my lump was removed it did not have ANY cancer in it. Suspicious you say? Yes, according to the doctors, but Miracles are believing in that which can not be seen or explained. Expect it and Accept it, for all things are possible!