Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Leaking nipple

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Leaking nipple

I am 23 years old. I noticed about 5 years ago I developed a third nipple ( I hope thats what it is) on my areola. I have had no reasons to worry about this (said friends and family) and my doctor has never spoken about it/mentioned it during examinations. Over the last year I have noticed a milky substance coming from my nipple on the same breast when pressure is applied.

I heard that leakage is common under certain circumstances but;
A. I am not pregnant
B. Only one of my nipples leak and it happens to be the smaller breast.
C. It continues to cause embarrassment and there seems to be no end in sight.

I want to speak to a doctor about this but I need a kick in the butt to do so. What could be causing this?
Dear cat84:  Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple.  The discharge can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white.  Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers.  These medications increase prolactin levels in the body.   There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between. The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it’s spontaneous (comes out by itself without squeezing), keeps on happening, and is only on one side.  If it is clear and sticky, like an egg white, or bloody.  If this is the situation, it should be brought to the attention of your doctor.  While some people are born with extra nipple(s), these generally do not just appear, so it is unclear what it is that you have noticed. I doctor may be able to help clarify.

About 2 years ago, I woke up and had a large bump on my left breast.  I thought I had been biten by a spider.  I squeezed the bump and a green, bloody substains came out of my nipple.  This turned into a clear somewhat sticky substains over the next couple of days.  I went to the doctor and had a mamogram (mammogram) - all came back fine.

I still to this day have this substains.  Every couple of days, I squeeze my nipple to release it.  Lately it has been lightly bloody.  I have noticed my left breast is becoming larger than the right.  I have had 3 children and I am 44 years old.