Breast Cancer Community
Left rib cage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Left rib cage

I was diagnoised with Stage 1 IDC last March, aged 39.  I am ER and PR positive and Her2 negative.  My lymph nodes were clear.  I had a lumpectomy and 17 nodes removed, 4 cycles of AC Chemo and 6.5 weeks of Radiation and am now on Tamoxifen for 2 months. My CT and Bone scans came back clear (taken June 07) I am always doing breast checks, but also started examining my whole breast bone and ribs area.  I have noticed that my first and second ribs on my left side protrude more near the sternum on the left hand side.  The breast cancer was in my right breast.  I am getting paranoid now as I don't know if the ribs were always like this or if  it is a recent change as I never had reason to check before and even if I did,  would not have been concerned as I had not had breast cancer.  I do not have any pain in the area.  Could this be normal or what could it be?

I'm looking for some peace of mind.

Do not worry.

This could be unrelated to the cancer and present for long - might be you just noticed it now.

Just to be sure, get a chest xray done and clinical examination done when you go the doctor for a follow up examination.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Do not worry.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Thank you for your response.  I went to my local doctor on Friday and he examined me.  He said it was quite normal for one side of the chest to be slighted more raised that the other.  It seems to be just when the ribs meet the breast bone and he told me it felt normal.  I have to say I relaxed alot more then.  I am due to meet my Oncologist on Wednesday anyway for an appointment, so I think I will ask him to give the chest area a once over again.

Glad to hear that the doctor did not find anything abnormal.

It would be a good idea to review it with your oncologist - ask him/her whether a chest xray is required.

Do keep us posted.

Regards.