Breast Cancer Community
Left sided Breast Sarcomas

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Left sided Breast Sarcomas

I have just seen this about left sided breast cancer

<<<by gayhumv, Feb 01, 2002 12:00AM
I have a theary on this.  I believe the statistics show more cancer in the left breast than the right breast.  My theary is that that is because more people are right handed and therefore use their left side of the body for more abusive things.  Mothers who are right handed hole their babies in their left arms while trying to do other things.  The left side gets more abuse that way.  Its just my theary, but I think if a study was done it would show this.  >>>

I read about left sided breast cancers being the most common cancer site, compared to right sided breat cancer, many years ago; I was a post Grad Staff Nurse in the Royal Marsden Hospital (London, UK), a very famous Cancer Hospital.

The thoughts then was that as most of us are right-handed and the we APPLY UNDER-ARM DEODERANTS more generously under the left arm, with a smaller amount being applied under the right arm due to lesser strength in our left arms.  Aluminium Hydroxide (deoderant main compound) was the material thought to be the possible cancer provoking substance.

Were further studies undertaken and was this discounted as a cause?
1 Comment
There have been several thoughts on the Left side BC "thing" but I don't think it has anything to do with being right handed. I would lean more to the fact of the circulatory system IF there is a reason at all. If BC were that related to deodorant then it wouldn't be allowed on the open market today. Theory is just that ... Theory.