Breast Cancer Community
Liquid drawn at two aspirations - Can it be granulomatous mastitis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

The lump in the breast felt very hard. After an inconclusive mammogram an ultrasound was performed. After deciding it was a liquid filled cyst, needle aspirations were performed twice in a span of 3 weeks. There was clear liquid drawn on both occasions. But, the hard lump like thing was still hard even after the liquid was drawn. The liquid keeps building in there and the doctors are not sure what to do at this point. They have suggested surgery, but I'm hoping there would be a non-invasive alternative to surgery to cure this.

There was a suggestion from a surgeon today that this might be granulomatous mastitis. Does it make sense given the liquid that has been drawn from this lump twice?

BTW, Lab tests were done to rule out infection and cancer.

Thanks for any suggestions and insight.

This discussion is related to granulomatous mastitis.
1 Comment
As far as I know I wouldn't think this would indicate G.M. I think I would go for the surgical removal of this mass to be certain what it is and perhaps cure the problem. I suppose the liquid was sent to the Lab for testing and this would give some clue as to what is going on here. I can't think of any other method of diagnosis and treatment.   Regards ....