Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lobular carcinoma in situ

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Lobular carcinoma in situ

I had a stereotactic biopsy for microcalcifications BIRAD 4. Radiologist explained that it was not cancer but  a "marker" for cancer,  putting me at a higher risk of developing cancer. She wants me to follow up with surgeon, "remove the area" with an excisional biopsy to rule out cancer in surrounding tissue. I've been reading some on the subject of LCIS & I'm a little confused about treatment options. I'm not so sure I need to have this biopsy (what's the criteria?), or what to expect. Anyone else have experience they can share? Thank you, Nan
Dear nanlee98:  The reason for doing an excisional biopsy is to be sure that the remainder of the tissue has no invasive cancer.  You see, a needle can only remove what fits in a needle.  If the tissue next to it is different, the cancer could be missed.  Treatment options would best be determined after the pathology of the entire area is known.  You may be best off discussing with a medical oncologist once all the information is available.
Thank you so much for answering my post.
Does LCIS on core biopsy always necessitate an excisional biopsy? Are there degrees of LCIS?  How much tissue is removed? Are we talking a dimple, a divot or so much that I might want reconstructive surgery? Would you seek advice from an oncologist?
nanlee98
I had the exact same thing....micro calcifications...birads 4...stereotactic...then the wire localization and surgery for excision.   The wire localization hurt like hell and what I suggest is to get LOTS of valium and tell them you need lots of numbing even if you dont just to make sure it don't hurt like it did for me.   After going through all that, the surgeon felt everything looked just fine.  I will have the pathology report next week.
I'm glad to hear you got good news.Did they take a lot of tissue. I can't seem to get an answerfrom the surgeon. Not sure what my breast will look like afterward. Did you need any recostructive surgery? Thanks for the heads up on pain management.

The surgeon did not seem to take a lot and the incision is about 3 inches with no obvious difference.  Path report showed a little DCIS so, he wants to discuss radiation and tamoxifen.  I think I have already decided it is not the route I want to take at this time. Kathy
Nan, I hope everything works out fine with you!  Kathy
our experiance is similar- the stero biopsy was much worse that the sugical one (the sedation made the difference for me- so ask (demand) it) the surgeon removed alot and i have a 3 inch incision but i can't tell ANY difference in the way my breast looks- except for the scar- which I dont care about-started the same way- microcals BIRAD4- will see the oncol dr tomorrow-tamoxifen has been mentioned already-good luck
thanks for sharing.  i saw the oncologist before i went to see the surgeon for a second opinion. scars don't bother me either. i hope that's the worst thing we have to deal with. glad to hear about your experience with the excisional. i've ben assured that i will be adequately sedated. poor Kathy had a bad experience with it. talked about raloxofene? with the oncol. did your doctors talk to you about estrogen? well good luck to you too.
Nan
A related discussion, stage III breast cancer was started.
A related discussion, Take Them Off ... or Leave them On? was started.