Breast Cancer Community
Location of MRI mass vs. Ultrasound?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Location of MRI mass vs. Ultrasound?

I had an ultrasound biopsy due to a breast MRI dictating that one was necessary.  It was recommended originally that a MRI core needle biopsy would be the method to be used because they didn't think an ultrasound could pick it up.  However, they ended up doing an ultrasound needle biopsy instead because they could get me in quicker.  However, the MRI indicated that the mass (small .6mm) was 6 cm from the nipple.  The ultrasound biopsy located an area close to the nipple but not 6 cm from it.  Is it possible that the mass biopsied is NOT the one that the MRI indicated and should I ask that a breast MRI core needle biopsy  be done on the original area  to make sure that they did not miss it?  OR, can an ultrasound be matched to the MRI to confirm that the correct area was found?  The area that they biopsied was found upon exam and after the MRI.  HELP!  
Hi Melis,

You may want to post this question on the "Ask a Doctor" forum for a medical opinion.  It's a complex question and one to which getting a knowledgable answer would be worthwhile!

Healingwell62
Thank you SO MUCH for your reply because I'm new to this site and thought I put my question to a physician.  I didn't realize the difference with the two areas until your comment.  Have a wonderful day!  God bless!
All the films and results can be compared and if you are concerned about the correct area being biopsied discuss this in detail with your Physician who will have all the reports. I say this considering the fact that you can't order another biopsy on your own. I would question who decided to change the method of biopsy though .... no doubt the Radiologist but I, as the pt. wouldn't have agreed to the change nor would I if I were your Physician.