Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Long-term side-effects Taxotere

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Long-term side-effects Taxotere

I completed chemotherapy (Taxotere) approx. nine months ago.  For the last several months I have been "trembly" and wondered if it had anything to do with "nerve damage" possibly caused by Taxotere.  There are times that it is mild and times that it is severe.  If I'm cold, I can start "shivering" or if I'm anxious or excited as well.  (I am normally a stable individual.)  There are some herbal products that seem to keep me from this trembling, but I'm wondering what is going on...?
Dear Marlo 1:  This is not a well documented side effect of taxotere (http://www.chemocare.com/bio/bio.sps?iBiographyID=9221).  At this point in time, it does not seem likely that this is related to the taxotere.  You might mention this to your doctor to see if any cause can be identified.
This is in response to Marlo 1's comment regarding the long-term side effects of Taxotere.  My husband was treated with Taxotere for lung cancer approximately 9 months ago and suffers from the same trembling that you have experienced.  It is quite severe at times and is driving him crazy.  His doctor called it an "intention tremor" and prescribed a drug called Clonazepam, which is usually prescribed for people having seizures.  Not only did it not get better but the side effects of this drug were even worse than the trembling it was supposed to cure.
I am convinced that the trembling is definitely caused by the Taxotere treatment and have felt that way for some time; now that I've read about your experience with it, I am more convinced than ever.

You mentioned in your comment that you had found some herbs that seem to help.  I wonder if you would be willing to share with us which herbs they are.  It would mean so much to us if you would be so kind as to share this information with us.
A related discussion, Breast hematoma was started.
A related discussion, side affects was started.