Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lt. Hip Pain and Fear of Bone Mets

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Lt. Hip Pain and Fear of Bone Mets

I completed chemotherapy for stage 2b bc in February and radiation in May. During chemo I had a bone scan which was negative along with all of the other regular scans. My chemo regime was 4 a/c and 4 taxol.

Recently I have had alot of discomfort in my lt. hip.  It hurts more with movement and when I press on the area.  Nevertheless, I am concerned that something could be wrong as every ache and pain calls my attention to it since my diagnosis. I receive my care at the Cleveland Clinic where I am employed as an RN.

I had an MRI of my spine a couple of months ago for back pain which also came back negative, but I did not have the hip pain that severe at the time.  Sometimes aleve helps and sometimes nothing does.  It seems to come and go and varies with severity, although lately it is there pretty much all the time, (again especially with movement). I do have diffuse osteopenia, I am 43.
A response would be appreciated.  My onc. told me in July that I don't need any more scans!  Thank you.
Avatar n tn
Dear Rosa, The discomfort in your hip could be from other causes and not necessarily have any thing to do with the cancer.  I
Avatar n tn
Thank you for answering me so promptly.  An xr of my lt. hip was done on 8/8, and thankfully there was no evidence of bone mets.  My onc. discussed the results with me and answered all of my questions. He did not feel that a bone scan was needed, and that this could simply be arthritis.

I have been very pleased with the manner in which I have been given a response to my questions on this board, and will continue to ask questions in the future.  Again thank you.

Rose